So, last night Tom and I were having a drink on the patio (as we do) . . .
and I asked a hypothetical question, just for discussion:
Let's say . . . it's January 1, 2020. And a prediction-genie appears to give us a view of our lives in 2020 by telling us things that WOULD happen - for sure - in the year ahead. What would surprise you most, given our lives on January 1?
(Now, to clarify. I wasn't asking about things we would "miss" in 2020. Like . . . eating in a restaurant or going to the movies. And I'm also not talking about the Big Things. Like . . . I probably would have believed there would be a global pandemic. I would certainly have believed that our current president would botch a crisis. And I would think that a racial justice movement was way, way past due. I'm talking about more personal things we wouldn't have believed possible on January 1.)
Here's what we came up with:
- Genie says, "You will willingly give up your gym membership! Neither of us would ever, EVER (not in a million years) have believed we would stop using our gym. But here we are, ready to cancel our gym membership . . . whenever our gym opens again.
- Genie says, "You will cancel all your travel plans." And indefinitely, too. . .
- Genie says, "You will stop paying in cash!" Tom always, always carries enough cash in his wallet to cover most any incidental expense. (Me? Not so much.) He's pretty stunned to still have the same cash in his wallet in July . . . that he had in his wallet in March.
- Genie says, "You will wear face masks and carry hand sanitizer and keep watch over your toilet paper inventory." Really, Genie? Seriously?????
- Genie says (to me), "You will stop wearing make up. Completely." Ha! It's not like I wore a lot of makeup in the first place, but I did usually put on some mascara every day. Now? I'm not even sure where it is anymore. . .
- Genie says (to Tom), "You will decide to grow your hair long enough for a ponytail." Oh, we would have laughed a long time at that one . . .
- Genie says (to Kym), "You will become an indentured servant to Tom Nook." WHO????
Really. Who'd have thought ANY of this would happen!
How about YOU? What's in your life now (or . . . not in your life) . . . that you would never have believed if a prediction-genie visited you on January 1?
And, yeah. I know there are way more than three things in that list, but these days? Who cares. Be sure to stop in at Carole's for more Three on Thursday posts.