"Everything for me starts very small and snowballs. So I rarely start with the grand idea and find a place for it and narrow down. It's, really, just start small, and as I'm writing it, I begin to see - sometimes to my own surprise - what's unfolding and what's blooming."
--- Khaled Hosseini
And so we've arrived.
January 1, 2019.
The beginning of a new year!
Who knows what will unfold . . . but I'm trying my best to begin as I mean to go on. And I'm beginning . . . with small things.
- I've got my amaryllis in various stages of bloom, bud, and bulb to remind me to bloom this year.
- I've got black-eyed peas in the crock pot and corn muffins in the oven to bring prosperity and forward movement.
- I've taken the dogs out for a long walk as part of my ongoing commitment to movement and fitness.
- I've organized my desk (such as it is), readied my 2019 calendar, emptied my inbox, and checked in on my finances so I can start fresh from a space that is organized and ready for work.
- I spent a little time on my (intimidating and paralyzing) photograph-organization project to . . . just begin.
- I wrote in my journal and worked at setting my intentions for the year ahead so I can set a direction for myself.
- Later today I'm going to sketch a bit. And do a little knitting. Open a new book. Maybe do a quick walk around the garden. All to keep my creativity flowing, and to make sure I find time each day for the things I like best.
- And I'll end the day with Tom . . . to connect and recharge as we head into the new year together.
How about you? How are you preparing for the new year?