Here we are, late November. Thanksgiving is behind us. Christmas lies ahead. I haven't started doing anything Christmas-related yet. I haven't decorated. I haven't started my shopping. I haven't ordered cards. I haven't listened to Christmas music.
What I have been doing . . . is a lot of thinking about All of the Christmas Things. And making plans for doing All of the Christmas Things. Not in a panic-y way. Just in a making lists and prioritizing kind of way.
How do I want to celebrate this season?
What are my priorities during this over-booked time of year?
How do I keep myself on track and not let myself get swept away by the crazier aspects of the holiday?
I decided that what I really want to do this year . . . is to make sure the holiday season is fun -- light and bright and merry. When the Holiday Overwhelm comes knocking (because you know it will) (I'm talking about you, 10 pounds of Swedish meatballs), I want to remember . . . to make it fun.
So last week, I decided I needed a "theme song" for the holidays -- a phrase from a Christmas song that I can play on endless-loop in my head. A snippet of a song to keep me on track and remind me of what I want from this very busy time of year. *
I decided on this one . . .
Part of the last line of that old standby, White Christmas. May your days be merry and bright . . .
I figure that my theme song can help me remember my priority this season. When I'm trying to decide whether (or not) to do One More Thing, or fit some other obligation into my schedule, I can ask myself: Will it make things merry and bright? Because I can't do everything. And I'm tired of trying to do just that. This year? It's all about merry and bright!
How about you? Do you need a theme song this year?
- Maybe Laughing All the Way . . . if you're trying to keep your sense of humor this holiday season
- Or All is Calm . . . if you're trying to relax and let things go
- Deck the Halls . . . if you're focused on the décor this year
- Or Throw Cares Away . . . if you're usually trying to do too much and end up panicking
- How about Oh What Fun . . . if you're looking to lighten up
- Or Comfort and Joy . . . if you're wanting a hygge-holiday
Let's sing our way through the holidays this year -- and get just what we want!
* I had the idea of finding my holiday "theme song" . . . and then I listened to the Happier podcast last week and laughed when Gretchen and Elizabeth started talking about finding a "holiday motto." Much the same concept (only they're famous)!
I was running an errand at World Market yesterday when I found that Merry and Bright ornament (in the photo). Of course, I had to have it -- a lovely visual reminder of my holiday theme song.