"Find the good. It's all around you. Find it, showcase it, and you'll start believing in it."
--- Jesse Owens
Okay. So I've established that last year . . . was a pretty crappy year for me. I've whined about it, I've complained about it, I've shed more than a few tears about it. (Because it WAS crappy.)
There was also so much good in it.
I've decided . . . that's the trick to moving forward.
Find the good.
I mean, just look at this photo of my sister and I on Thanksgiving.
It was the week of my mom's memorial service. We were terribly stressed out by a number of issues - both personal and political. Sad. Emotional. Tired. But we were together. Enjoying each other. Laughing, even.
It was good!
That photo of my sister and I is going to serve as a reminder for me this year . . . to find the good. Because, yep. There are going to be crappy days. (That's how life works, y'know?) But there will be something good even in those crappy days.
Pollyanna-ish? Maybe a little. But I think it's also a mindset; a way to move forward.
This weekend, I decided to reflect back on that crappy year that was 2016. I went through my journals, my planner, my blog . . . just to remind myself of everything that happened.
I made a list. I found the good.
And, well. 2016 had plenty of Good.
- I got a new bike.
- I took up watercolor.
- My knee is healing and I can run again.
- I had a great week with Dale and Carole when they came to visit.
- I went to Scotland and Ireland with my sister.
- I celebrated 8 years of remission.
- And 35 years of marriage.
- I spent a lot of quality time with my mom before she got sick.
- I visited both kids with fun trips to Pittsburgh and Boulder.
- We got new windows in our house -- and wifi at the cottage.
- My garden looked really great early in the season.
- I was able to spend a lot of time with my sister.
- Tom was an incredible support and held me together every day.
- My dad and I worked together to . . . move mountains.
- Everyone came home for a wonderful Thanksgiving week.
- We saw Elton John. (Also Boston and Kansas.)
- The J-pups brought much love and wagging tails to every day.
- Shoot . . . the Cubs won the World Series!
Jesse Owens was right . . . the good IS all around us.
And I'm gonna find it.