December is always a crazy month. That Christmas Machine just continues to roll, and "regular life" just kind of . . . enters a vortex or something.
Sometimes it's best to just sit back and take a breather; to think about those things you truly enjoy about the holiday season.
- I love to decorate my house for the holidays. This year, I've KonMari'd my holiday stuff, and pared down my decor significantly. I'm really excited about this. It was time for a change -- and way past time to simplify.
- I love twinkle lights and candles. It's so dark this time of year! I like to brighten things up with little lights everywhere.
- I love to watch Christmas movies. My favorites are Love Actually and The Holiday -- and, of course, White Christmas.
- I love to get Christmas cards in the mail -- and especially if they include a family photo and a little newsy update. It seems I get fewer cards every year, but I really treasure the ones I receive -- especially from those friends far away.
- I love planning (and cooking) a special meal or two for holiday celebrations. At Thanksgiving, I make the same meal Every.Single.Year. (And my family likes it that way.) At Christmas, though, I like to pull out all the stops and make things that are really special.
- I love listening to Christmas music. It kinda drives Tom nuts, though, so I mostly only listen to Christmas music when he's not around. (Unless it's the Messiah. He loves the Messiah.)
- I love the smell of pine. We have a "real" tree, so the fresh smell comes along with the tree -- but I also enhance it a bit . . . with pine-scented candles.
- I love the special events that happen only once a year: Parties and concerts and the Nutcracker ballet. (I also like getting a bit dressed up now and again -- and holiday parties allow me to wear some sparkle!)
- I love seeing all the wrapped packages under the tree. When I was a little girl, seeing those packages made me giddy -- like . . . hardly able to breathe, I was so excited. A little of that feeling still spills over.
- I love the memories that the holidays bring: Christmases of my childhood; Christmases Tom and I shared in our early years together; Christmases with my own children. Wonderful memories are woven through pretty much all the things I like BEST about the holidays.
How about YOU? What do you truly enjoy about the holiday season?
See what the Ten on Tuesday gang has to say over at Carole's!