The ordinary acts we practice every day at home are of more importance to the soul than their simplicity might suggest.
--- Thomas Moore
Today for Ten on Tuesday, Carole gives us an interesting topic: Ten Seemingly Ordinary Things That Bring Us Joy.
It got me thinking.
Ordinary. What a . . . strange word. It's not usually employed as a Good Thing. Or as a compliment. I mean, really. Who wants to be ordinary . . . in a world where EXTRAordinary is King?
But I rather like ordinary-ness, myself.
After all, it's the
routine . . . the ordinary things . . . that form our lives and provide us with structure and foundation.
While extraordinary is certainly nice once in a while, ordinary things . . . are special, too!
For me, these seemingly ordinary things bring joy.
- Sitting in the sun, especially when it's been AWOL for awhile.
- Walking around in my garden with a cup of coffee.
- Sleeping with the windows open on a chilly night.
- Picking herbs to use in my cooking.
- Waking up to a hot cup of coffee.
- Crossing things off my to-do list.
- Driving with the sunroof open.
- Deadheading and weeding in my garden.
- Bringing in the mail.
- Having good, sharp knives in the kitchen.
How about YOU? What seemingly ordinary things bring you joy?