Right out of the box . . . I'm not following directions this week.
You see, Carole has asked us to think about our Ten Favorite TV Dads. But I don't really watch TV. So I don't have even one favorite TV Dad.
So I decided to . . . go my own way . . . and give you Ten Favorite MOVIE Dads. (Because I do watch movies.)
Here goes . . . Ten Movie Dads I Especially Like:
- from Breaking Away - "Dad" (played by Paul Dooley) - I like the tough, old-school Dad-with-a-soft-heart in this movie; he "does right" by his son and wife, and turns out to be a pretty great Dad.
- from Silver Linings Playbook - "Pat, Sr." (played by Robert DeNiro) - Yeah. So he was a bit messed up with his OCD and his control issues . . . but he was a great Dad when it came right down to it.
- from Christmas Story - "Old Man" (played by Darren McGavin) - He was tough and distracted, sure. But, in the end, he knew his son . . . and got him that dang BB gun!
- from Little Miss Sunshine - "Richard Hoover" (played by Greg Kinnear) - I love the way he balanced the very odd personalities and quirks of his family, and made sure everyone got what they needed.
- from Back to the Future - "George McFly" (played by Crispin Glover) - Oh, George! You certainly needed the intervention of your back-to-the-future son and his flex-capacitor!!!
- from To Kill A Mockingbird - "Atticus Finch" (played by Gregory Peck) - A Dad With Integrity, certainly.
- from Mrs. Doubtfire - "Daniel Hillard" (played by Robin Williams) - So devoted to his kids that he became . . . Mrs. Doubtfire! That's commitment. . .
- from Sound of Music - "Capt. Von Trapp" (played by Christopher Plummer) - When I was a kid (and first saw Sound of Music), I thought he was mean and out of touch. Ahhhh. . . but as I grew older, I could see that he was a wounded soul, just waiting for the likes of Maria to get him singing!
- from Life is Beautiful - "Guido" (played by Roberto Benigni) - This movie broke my heart like no other . . . but, oh man! What. A. Dad.
- from Juno - "Mac Maguff" (played by J.K. Simmonds) - If I had ever been a pregnant teen, I would have wanted a supportive, humorous, and "real" dad like Mac. . . that's for sure!
How about YOU? Who are your favorite on-screen (TV OR movie) Dads?
And . . . because I just can't resist . . . here are some photos from this past weekend . . . of My Favorite REAL-TIME Dads . . .