Thinking about today's Ten on Tuesday topic - Ten Favorite Sandwiches - makes me hungry! Sandwiches are a staple in our house -- quick and tasty, but not terribly fancy or involved.
- Tuna Salad - with just enough mayo, more than a dash of pepper, a sprinkling of lemon juice, and jalapeños. (And preferably on rye bread.)
- Grilled Cheese - with sharp cheddar just oozing out enough to brown a little bit and mayo instead of butter. (And preferably on sourdough.)
- Turkey and Swiss - with lettuce, fresh tomato, dijon mustard, and a bit of mayo. (Sourdough, please.) (And a pickle on the side!)
- BLT - with fresh tomatoes and crisp lettuce and perfectly-cooked bacon that explodes in your mouth. (On toasted whole-grain bread.)
- Reuben - make sure there's plenty of Russian dressing! (On rye, natch.)
- Tuna Melt - with perfect tuna salad and a slice of cheddar -- open faced and perfectly bubbling under the broiler. (On an English muffin.)
- Fried Egg on Toast - with plenty of salt and pepper, some Tabasco sauce, and a bit of mayo. Make sure the yolk is still runny and oozing over the bread. (Whole grain bread for this one.)
- Hot Turkey - Tom's post-Thanksgiving specialty -- leftover turkey, heated in leftover gravy, served on toast (usually leftover whole-grain). (I usually mix in leftover cranberry sauce, too.)
- Peanut Butter and Cheese - (Yeah, I prefer peanut butter with savory flavors rather than sweet.) A little bit of bacon with the peanut butter and cheese is even better! (On any kind of bread, toasted.)
- Peanut Butter and Mayonnaise - Hey! Don't knock it 'til you've tried it! My Dad introduced this one to me as a kid -- and it has always been my favorite go-to, quick sandwich. I took a lot of grief from other (more traditional) kids in the cafeteria as a child, but I stuck with my PB&Mayo! (Tom has never quite gotten past my eating this particular combo either . . .) (On good, old white bread. Of course. . .)
How about YOU? What's your favorite sandwich?