This week's Ten on Tuesday topic is a tough one! Carole has challenged us to come up with ten things we do only once a year . . . that we wish we did more than once.
I didn't have too much trouble coming up with a list of things I do only once a year. It was the "wish you could do more often part" that caused me a bit of consternation. (As in . . . I have a mammogram only once a year. But . . . I don't wish I could do it more often. Cross that one OFF the list!)
I also got into "splitting hairs thinking" when I started considering what qualified as once-a-year. Can I count planting the first perennial of the season? Maybe. Maybe not!
I decided to stop over-thinking, and just come up with a list . . . of things I do once a year . . . that I wish I could do more!
- Spend a whole-week-(plus) Up North at the cottage. We generally only go up for a whole week once a year. (The rest of the time it is just long weekends.) I love those whole weeks away!
- Going to the Grand Haven Garden Conference with my friend Sandie every year in March. It's always the earliest of the garden conferences in our area -- and we are always WAY past ready! After a long winter, it's great to start thinking about gardening again.
- Taking vacations and trips with my sister. We get away together about once a year (give or take a few months); usually to rather exotic locations. I wish we could see each other more often. But I'll take a meet-up in London, Paris, Amsterdam, or Rome once a year!
- Art in the Park. My Mom and I have gone to Art in the Park every year for about 25 years. (We remember pushing tiny Erin in a stroller through Art in the Park.) (Heck, we remember Art in the Park before any kids at all!) It's always fun to spend a summer afternoon together, searching out "finds" among the arts and crafts booths.
- The Chicago Flower and Garden Show. Again, with Sandie. This event heralds spring every year -- and brings so much inspiration just when I need it most!
- Taking out the Christmas decorations. You'll notice that "Christmas" does not appear on my list. (Like it would have when I was a child.) Even though I like it, "Christmas" is not one of those things that I wish would happen more than once a year! Decorating, though? That's my favorite part! I love getting the decorations and ornaments out of the boxes and storage containers and setting them up in the house.
- Big annual shopping trip with my Mom or Erin. When I was younger, my Mom would take my sister and I shopping once a year in Denver. We called it "The Big Spend." I do it still -- sometimes with my Mom. Sometimes with Erin. (But now, it's in Chicago or Grand Rapids.) I don't necessary want to do it more often -- but I do like the fun and camaraderie of the shopping trips. That's the part I'd like to do more often!
- Michigan Fiber Festival. I love going through the barns and seeing all the animals -- not to mention the yarn!
- Annual "pilgrimage" to WW Greenhouse in Hudsonville, Michigan. Each year, Sandie and I start our gardening purchases with a trip to an especially large and especially well-stocked nursery. It's a great way to start the growing season!
- Family Croquet. Each Father's Day, my family enjoys a croquet tournament. It's a great time for all of us -- but we only play once a year!
How about YOU? What do you do only once a year . . . that you'd like to do more often?
Note: There will be no (official) Ten on Tuesday lists for the next two weeks. (Carole's going on vacation!)