When I was a very young adolescent, I had a pretty decent collection of record albums that I listened to all the time. Among them was this one -- Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits. The album is a mix of studio recordings and live recordings, and on one of the live recordings, a phone rings in the background.*
As a 14-year-old, that phone ringing thrilled me.
Because it was real!
That phone ringing . . . while they were playing and recording . . . was unplanned, unexpected, and in-the-moment. And I loved it!
If you've been following my blog for a while, you know that music is always playing in my head! What you might not know is that live performance - especially in an intimate setting - is my favorite way to enjoy music. When it's live . . . you just never know what you're going to get. And I love that!
The conductor hitting the podium with his baton in a moment of enthusiasm.
The broken guitar string.
The dropped drum stick.
The telling of stories.
The lead singer removing a jacket because it's getting hot.
Things that happen only when you're . . . seeing it LIVE!
I try to get out and see live music as often as possible!
I don't particularly care for "stadium concerts" (although I've been to many) because it's so dang crowded and the hassle-factor is great. I much prefer smaller, local venues for concerts. I even work for a live music organization -- where I get to see great concerts regularly, and even get to meet the artists!
So. This week's topic is particularly fun for me! Here are Ten Bands/Individuals I've Seen in Concert:
- Red Hot Chili Peppers (Brian, who was also in the crowd - but not with us, called this concert "a real face-melter." It was.)
- Amos Lee (Easily the best concert performance I've ever seen; he was AWESOME.)
- Jonny Lang (Just flat-out great guitar playing -- and plenty of broken strings for me, too.)
- The Who (This was about 10 years ago, so they weren't in their prime, but still pretty incredible.)
- Tom Petty (We had really close-up seats.)
- Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young (We've seen CSN twice -- once with Y, and once without.)
- Neil Young (We've seen him twice, too - once without CSN and once with.)
- John Legend (This one was just John Legend and his piano, with a string quartet for accompaniment once in a while. Kind of John Legend Unplugged. . .)
- Chris Botti (He puts on an incredible show -- and surrounds himself with a top-notch "backup band," including one of the most amazing drummers I've ever seen.)
- Fleetwood Mac (In college; during the Rumours tour.)
(And there are so many others over the years -- Lynyrd Skynyrd, Heart, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Charlie Daniels Band, Waylon Jennings, Yo-Yo Ma, Lang Lang, Midori, Emmanuel Ax, Brad Mehldau. And my favorite local band, The Red Sea Pedestrians. And - of course - Brian's band, The Fever Haze!)
How about YOU? What bands/individuals have you seen in concert?
* I purchased the album recently as an iTunes download - for the nostalgia mostly. Turns out the ringing phone has been "re-mastered" out of the digital version. Rats.