But when it comes right down to it, my Ten Favorite Kitchen Gadgets are the tried-and-true, trusty, everyday workhorse tools.
My favorite kitchen gadgets. . . are these:
- Most Excellent Nylon Spoon (from Good Cook, purchased at Target 20 years ago) - This non-descript spoon - probably obtained for less than $5 - is ideal. So ideal, in fact, that Tom and I have been known to hide it from each other so we can use it when we need it.
- OXO angled measuring cups - I have them in a variety of sizes: from the quart-size to the mini-measures (up to 4 Tablespoons or 1/4 cup). The BEST.
- Double-ended measuring spoons - So handy! You can measure two separate ingredients - one in each end of the spoon. Plus - the elongated end is perfect for fitting into narrow jars!
- Herb scissors - Quick and effective! (Fun, too.) Really great for chopping herbs for toppings and making those charming ribbons of herbs.
- OXO swivel vegetable peeler - Not terribly swivel-y, actually, but very comfortable to use.
- Plain old crank-handle can opener - nothing fancy here; just the basic model.
- Microplane rasp grater - I use this way more than I ever imagined! Citrus zest, shaved chocolate, a bit of parmesan. Perfect.
- Plain old wood and/or bamboo spoons and spatulas - I keep a bunch right at my stove and use them all the time.
- Herb chopper - (Actually called a mezzaluna) - My mom got me this most handy herb chopping board and mezzaluna for Christmas several years ago; it is The Best for mincing fresh herbs!
- Timers - I use the timers on my stove, my microwave, and sometimes even my iPhone when I'm cooking.
How about YOU? What are your favorite gadgets in the kitchen?
Join the fun! Sign up for Ten on Tuesday here.
NOTE: I am having some inconsistency with my email server at present. While incoming emails seem to flow just fine, outgoing emails are getting mucked up. I'm working on it -- but in the meantime, my apologies for not answering your emails and comments in a timely manner!