We made containers like this one (Sandie made this one in a workshop last April).
Only three ingredients: paper pulp (shredded newspaper soaked in water for 48 hours), Portland cement, and perlite (or, in our case, vermiculite . . . because we couldn't find perlite).
Did you know that cement is really, incredibly cheap? So cheap. . . that the smallest bag you can buy is 94 pounds!
That's a whole lotta cement. . . but what a deal! Only $9.79 for a 94 pound bag!
Anyway. We gathered our ingredients and some plastic forms and other oddments, and set up shop in Sandie's garage.
We measured . . .
and mixed. . .
(3 parts paper pulp : 2 parts Portland cement : 1 part perlite/vermiculite . . . with a splosh of water during the mixing up)
and ended up with a bucket of papercrete!
We coated our plastic molds with vegetable spray,
and then just started glopping it in (with a lot of intentional mooshing and smashing).
We ended up with quite a collection of hypertufa planters!
Now . . . we just have to wait . . . for the papercrete to dry, harden, and cure. In a few weeks, we'll have new containers for yet more succulents! (And we have enough cement to last a lifetime. . . )