I watched the Oscars last Sunday night (the Red Carpet show, too!). Usually, when I watch the Academy Awards, I fade in and out and get a bit bored. But this year (thanks to my current state of mind, I'm pretty sure) I gave it my full attention. I didn't even knit. (Yeah. Definitely my current state of mind.) Tom watched with me. (And that pretty much never happens.)
What was it about this year that captured our attention? This week's Ten on Tuesday topic helps me figure that out . . . Here are Ten Thoughts on This Year's Oscars:
- It was more fun because we were rooting for our favorites (Hugo and The Artist)! We had actually seen several of the nominated movies this year, so we cared a little more about the outcomes.
- I always love to see what everyone is wearing, and this year didn't disappoint! (Tom, however, noted that there wasn't as much cleavage as in some years.) Tim Gunn and Nina Garcia were fun commentators during the Red Carpet show. I always like to hear their perspective on fashion.
- Tom and I both liked seeing Octavia Spencer's reaction to winning the Best Supporting Actress award. She was overwhelmed and thrilled -- and it seemed so genuine and "real." (Although, as Tom pointed out, they are all . . . ACTORS. . . and it is HOLLYWOOD. . .)
- And how fun was Meryl Streep's acceptance speech? I laughed and laughed when she said. . . "whatever!" You go, Meryl!
- We both thought the pace of the show was much better than in past years. Speeches were (for the most part) shorter and more to the point. There were still some draggy points, but overall, it was better.
- There were plenty of close-ups of George Clooney. I never tire of seeing George. (His girlfriend had a GREAT dress, don't you think?)
- I liked the Cirque du Soleil performance. I thought it was fun and amusing. (Tom was in the bathroom.)
- Much as I like Robert Downey, Jr. . . . I think his little "skit" for the documentary award presentations was totally useless. Same with Emma Stone's star-struck bit. Tedious. (But her dress was GORGEOUS.)
- I liked, however, the Christopher Guest (and company) "spot."
- And, of course, both Tom and I loved seeing the adorable dog from The Artist up on the stage. We loved the dog in the movie . . . loved seeing him sitting in his own seat at the Oscars. . . and then joining everyone up on stage. What a star!
And, really. That's what the Oscars are all about . . . seeing stars!
(Oh, and I guess this is Number 11. Did anyone else think Angelina Jolie looked like she might perish from hunger? Right there on the stage? I think she had to stick her leg out like that for balance. So she wouldn't collapse.)
Join the fun! Sign up for Ten on Tuesday here.