I don't know about you. . . but I am In The Thick of It here. It is DEFinitely beginning to look a lot like Christmas, if you know what I mean.
So. When I opened up Carole's Ten on Tuesday topic for the week - Favorite Holiday Traditions - I knew I had PLENTY of material to work with.
Most times, when you think about holiday traditions, you think about traditions you share with your family. And I do have plenty of those! (See my Thursday posts through the month of December for more on that.) Just for fun, I decided to throw in a little challenge for myself with this week's Ten on Tuesday. . . and think about Ten Favorite Holiday Traditions. . . That Tend to be Mine Alone!
Here goes! My SINGULAR favorite holiday traditions:
- Kicking off the holiday season by attending my friend, Sandie's Art Open House. Sandie is a ceramicist/potter. Every year, she teams up with three other artist pals (a jewelry designer, a painter, and a textile artist) and they host a fabulous show. This event is my official welcome to the holiday season every year.
- Finding the Most Hideous Outdoor Light Display in the Kalamazoo/Portage area. As I drive around the streets of town on my daily errands, I note the really awful light displays. Later, after I've determined this year's Most Hideous, I drive my family over to check it out.
- Checking my mailbox every day for Christmas cards. I love to receive Christmas cards (with letters and photos) from my far-away friends. I don't keep up with most of my old pals EXCEPT at Christmastime, so I really look forward to catching up on their news and their lives.
- Watching White Christmas. This was a long-standing tradition for me and my sister as we grew up. We still watch . . . but separately, now. (Tom and the kids have never really caught on to the appeal of White Christmas.)
- Eating peppermint ice cream. . . with chocolate sauce! I love peppermint ice cream. Did you know it's pretty much impossible to find EXCEPT during the holiday season? I try to take advantage of its availability during December.
- Breaking out my "Jingle Bells" iPod playlist. Once December hits, I listen to Christmas music. (Tom? Not so much.)
- Checking the weather forecast for snow. I am generally not a weather-watcher, but during December I tend to pay more attention. . . because I love snow in December.
- Getting dressed up. I love getting a little dressed up and heading out to parties and other holiday events. I break out my sparkly clothes and my holiday earring collection and . . . have a grand time.
- Planning holiday meals. I spend a lot of time dreaming over menus and recipes and planning our dinners . . . and breakfasts. We have plenty of celebrations at Christmastime (including Tom's birthday, which is just a few days before) -- so I have opportunity galore.
- Reading Christmas favorites. I love to read Christmas classics like O. Henry's Gift of the Magi, Dickens' A Christmas Carol, and Clement C. Moore's 'Twas the Night Before Christmas every year.
Okay. Now I've got a real craving for some peppermint ice cream! Do YOU have any singular holiday traditions?
Join the fun! Sign up for Ten on Tuesday here!