. . . who's the fairest of us all? This week at Ten on Tuesday, we're taking a look at our Ten Favorite Health & Beauty Products. While this seems like a simple little stroll through our shower stalls, make-up stashes, and gym bags. . . it's a little more complicated than that.
At least, it is for me.
I struggle with the whole "beauty" game. On the one hand, I'm vain. I use health & beauty products. On the other hand, I hate supporting the whole "industry" of "beauty;" I hate how the "industry" creates impossible standards of "beauty" . . . and how those standards make women and girls FEEL about themselves.
And it's not just our bodies, of course. It's the hair. The skin. The whole package!
Sure, I play along. I buy the stuff; I use the stuff. But I get grumpy when I think about it too much. Because, when it comes right down to it, I'm vain. But I wish I weren't.
Okay. Now that I've had my little temper tantrum, here's my list of Ten Favorite Health & Beauty Products:
- The Wise Woman skin care line from Body Shop. Really great products; good company (or, at least one I can get behind in the "industry;" at least they TRY).
- Almond Milk Body Lotion (again, from Body Shop). I LOVE this stuff and stock (way) up whenever it's on sale.
- Almond Oil Daily Hand & Nail Cream (from . . . guess where!). Love. Worth every penny.
- Most of my makeup also comes from Body Shop. It just works for me.
- Except. . . I'm sort of liking this mascara from Cover Girl!
- As a general staple, I love Vaseline Intensive Care lotion. Any formulation. Love the big pump bottle, the way it works, and the price!
- Another staple -- a product I'm never without -- is Burt's Bees lip balm (especially the replenishing formulation -- with pomegranate oil).
- When it comes to my hair, well. Since my hair came back in. . . you could say I've been playing the field quite a bit. Lately, I've been using Pantene products. Shampoo. Mousse. Hairspray.
- I'm really a sucker for nail polish. Not for my fingers (gardening and chemo have conspired to ruin my nails forever) -- but for my toes. I do my own pedicures . . . and I use OPI nail polish.
- And when it comes to . . . taking it off. . . I really like these little eye makeup remover towelettes from Neutrogena.
Just remember, though. We're beautiful just the way we are. We don't need an "industry" to tell us what we should look like. And sometimes we just need to make our peace with it all!