Ten on Tuesday
I always enjoy reading other bloggers' Ten on Tuesday posts . . . so when Carole decided to host the New-and-Improved Ten on Tuesday list. . . I decided to sign up and give it a try!
Of course, the first topic -- How to Entertain a Child -- freaked me out. I mean. . . talk about broad! Besides, it's been a while since I've had to entertain a child.
But then. . . I got to thinking back. . . to all those days. . . waiting and sitting. At restaurants. In doctor's offices. On long car rides. At church. At a sibling's piano lesson. THOSE days. And then. . . it all came flooding back.
So here's my maiden Ten on Tuesday voyage: How to Entertain a Child.
- Stories -- either read from books or told from memory or imagination
- Tasty Snacks in Small Containers (fish crackers, animal crackers, M&Ms, raisins, etc.)
- "Emergency Packs" of small toys - stowed in purse or glove compartment and pulled out when you need a quick diversion
- Crayons and coloring books
- Self-contained and small-in-size toys (like Etch-a-Sketch or magnet mazes or Grid-Lock)
- Paper games -- like Hangman, Tic-Tac-Toe or Connect-the-Dots
- A quick and rousing game of Paper-Rock-Scissors
- Or I-Spy
- Or some variation of an Alphabet Game
- Silly anything -- faces, songs, rhymes
There is a lot of waiting with children, especially in the summer. Great list!
Posted by: Ruth | 06/22/2010 at 09:50 AM
Children scare me, always have. I think I'd hide so well they'd look for me forever. Maybe that would work.
Posted by: margene | 06/22/2010 at 10:03 AM
Oh! The alphabet game!! (Always loved going up north through Minocqua where there was also a Dairy Queen and plenty of pizza joints... could sometimes get through the alphabet twice on one trip through town!)
I have officially joined up for ToT, too.
Posted by: Vicki | 06/22/2010 at 11:26 AM
Posted by: Cookie | 06/22/2010 at 01:45 PM
Great list - I-Spy is one of our favorites too.
Posted by: Carol | 06/22/2010 at 07:38 PM
Great list -- and very familiar! Camp songs were always fun too! (or is that under 'silly songs'?)
Posted by: Chloe | 06/25/2010 at 03:11 PM