After making my little crochet birds. . . I decided to just keep crocheting with my brightly colored stash of cotton yarn and switch over to potholders. In fact, I decided to join the Potholder Swap on Ravelry.
I carefully read the directions for the swap. . . because you must follow the Rules of the Swap in order to participate.
Five potholders. . . same pattern. CHECK.
Vary the colors. CHECK.
6 - 9 inches across. CHECK.
Double thickness. CHECK.
Edges crocheted together. CHECK.
Reasonably tight gauge. CHECK.
100% cotton yarn; no blends. CHECK.
Hmmmm. Let's go back to that last one. 100% cotton yarn; no blends. Uh-oh. Until I was on my last potholder, I just assumed Cotton-Ease was. . . cotton. I didn't even check. But it's not. I should've guessed. I mean, I know Wool-Ease is Not-Really-Wool. The alarm bells should've been going off in my head. . . warning me that Cotton-Ease might be Not-Really-Cotton. So, I'm disqualified. Inappropriate content.
Oh well, I still end up with five potholders. I just won't be in on the swap. Oops! There's a lesson here. When content matters. . . check the label!