"Map out your future, but do it in pencil." -- Jon Bon Jovi
Earlier this month, I decided to write down my goals for the new year -- in my blog. I really do think there's something . . . magical. . . about writing your goals down. And sometimes I think it helps to share them in a public way. Built-in accountability, you know? (But I do think it's okay to use a pencil!)
So. Since it's already the end of January, I decided I better get this goal-setting wrapped up.
"When solving problems, dig at the roots instead of just hacking at the leaves." -- Anthony J. D'Angelo
My personal gardening goals for 2010 are:
- Renovate the big bed in the side yard near my driveway. (Now that I've finally admitted that my long-wished-for "cottage garden" just isn't going to work in that location, I need to find the plants that will!)
- Incorporate more vegetables and herbs into the existing beds -- and add containers.
- Expand the pond (but only slightly. . . don't worry, Tom. Not much digging!)
- Add a swing to the pergola and get some new patio furniture.
- Thin out some of the overgrown plants and participate in plant trades with other gardeners.
- Start thinking about renovating the shade garden; gather ideas.
- Begin worm composting!
"Success isn't a result of spontaneous combustion. You must set yourself on fire." -- Arnold H. Glasow
My personal health and fitness goals for 2010 are:
- Stay the course. I've developed a good fitness regimen -- I need to maintain the program.
- Up my swimming mileage to 2 miles/per week by June.
- Drink more water!
- Focus on mindfulness - living in the moment.
- Practice meditation.
- Continue taking Jenny for a walk every day -- regardless of the weather.
"Of course I'm ambitious. What's wrong with that? Otherwise you sleep all day." -- Ringo Starr
My personal reading goals for 2010 are:
- Always have a novel going!
- Read a "classic" at least every 3rd book. (On the list for this year: "The Awakening" and "Dracula", for sure. Quite possibly "Anna Karenina." And definitely something by Dickens.)
- Read at least one of Charles Dickens' novels ("Great Expectations"? "David Copperfield"?) because I never have, and I want to give it a try.
- Read at least two non-fiction books (other than gardening or knitting books).
"The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me!" -- Ayn Rand
My personal miscellaneous goals for 2010 are:
- Do something with my photographs (like framing. . . or notecards. . .).
- Put together a great scrapbook for Brian as he graduates from high school.
- Paint and organize the mudroom and laundry room.
- Use things up before replacing; repair when possible.
- Take Jenny to the "advanced" obedience training class and continue to work with her.
- Think twice (or three times) before making purchases; limit impulsive buying.
- Do whatever I can to reduce my "carbon footprint."
Okay. That's it. They're written down. In pencil!"Don't say you don't have enough time. You have exactly the same number of hours per day that were given to Helen Keller, Pasteur, Michaelangelo, Mother Teresea, Leonardo da Vinci, Thomas Jefferson, and Albert Einstein. " -- Life's Little Instruction Book, compiled by H. Jackson Brown, Jr.