I have a bit of a beef with the whole TV Moms thing. Because . . . I think TV Moms get short shrift, generally. They always seem to be in the background. Lurking. Unsatisfied. Herding their kids. Or sorting things out for their kids. Doing Mom-Things. Occasionally showing their wisdom. But, mostly . . . just being kind of . . . well . . . character-less.
And we KNOW that's not the case!
So. With that in mind, here are my favorite, long-suffering TV Moms:
- Edith Bunker. Her ditz-i-ness was really just a ruse -- for the wisdom and common sense deep within her soul! (All in the Family)
- Shirley Partridge. I always wished MY Mom would buy a school bus and outfit it for travelling about the country -- where my sister and I could sing and dance ourselves to super-stardom! (The Partridge Family)
- Carol Brady. She was so . . . groovy. (The Brady Bunch)
- Roseanne. So REAL. Such a breath of fresh air (at least for the first season). (Roseanne)
- Ann Romano. Such a scandal -- a divorced mom! Raising two cool daughters. (One Day at a Time)
- Kitty Forman. She had to put up with a lot there . . . deep in the 70s. (That 70s Show)
- Claire Dunphy. Such a modern mom. And so like many real moms I know . . . right now! (Modern Family)
- Morticia Addams. Oh, yeah. Wouldn't she be QUITE the mom! (The Addams Family)
- Lois (did they HAVE a last name?). Stubborn and feisty, she was a strong Mom in the midst of constant mayhem and a totally stupid husband! (Malcom in the Middle)
- Clare Huxtable. She always kept her cool -- and looked great, too! (The Cosby Show)
How about YOU? Who is your favorite TV Mom?
Join the fun! Sign up for Ten on Tuesday here.