As for me, I try to avoid Halloween candy. It's so tempting this time of year. . . to grab a bag (or two!) of your favorite "Miniatures." For the Trick-or-Treaters, you say. Sure, I say.
I tend to buy my treats rather at the last moment. (So I don't eat them first.) And I tend to buy candies I don't really like. (So I don't eat them at all.)
But. . . where's the fun in that?
So, today, I decided to take you on a little trip in the Way Back Machine. Back to the 1960s. Back to when I really DID have a Trick-or-Treat bag!
Back in the 60s, "miniature" candy bars hadn't been invented yet. I never got a Snickers or a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup in my Trick-or-Treat bag. (If I had, I'd have thought I hit the jackpot!) Yet, my bag was always full!
What DID I get in my Trick-or-Treat bag. . . back in the 1960s?
- Atomic Fireballs (so hot!)
- Banana Split Taffy Chews (one of my favorites!)
- Bazooka Bubble Gum (WITH comic strips! bonus!)
- Turkish Taffy (these were bigger treats, so all the more coveted)
- Candy Cigarettes (Ooooo! Forbidden Fruit!)
- Candy Buttons (pure Sugar "dots" . . . on long, narrow sheets of paper; great for sharing on the playground)
- Chicklets (tiny little two-to-a-package gumlets!)
- Mary Janes (chewy peanut butter and molasses! mmmmm!)
- Milk Duds (two-to-a-box!)
- Tootsie Rolls (another of my favorites)
- Malted Milk Balls (the best!)
How about YOU? What's in YOUR Trick-or-Treat bag (either now . . . or then)?
Join the fun! Sign up for Ten on Tuesday here.