I grew up in that Golden Age of television . . . back when there were only 3 channels, and programming ended at midnight (with the Star Spangled Banner). I watched the original showings of Gilligan's Island and The Addams Family and Beverly Hillbillies. I remember when we were one of the first families on the block to get a color TV . . . and I remember that not all programs were IN color, even when we had a color TV!
I eagerly awaited my favorite television programs each week! My favorites, as a child, included:
1. The Brady Bunch -- Marcia was my role model; I wanted to BE Marcia!
2. Here Come the Brides -- Bobby Sherman was my first crush!
3. The Partridge Family -- . . . and David Cassidy was my second crush!
4. Family Affair -- Uncle Bill was just so exotic to me . . . such a swinger!
5. Dark Shadows -- My friends and I used to race home to watch this one after school each day; my poor sister was scared to death!
6. Hawaii Five-O -- My whole family gathered to watch this show each week; we all loved it! Book 'm, Dan-O!
7. Marcus Welby, MD -- I thought young James Brolin was awfully adorable, yet really dumb a lot of the times.
8. All in the Family -- This show was so controversial when I was a kid -- but it certainly got me thinking about social issues of the day and probably helped me form more ideas about how-things-ought-be than anything else I was exposed to at the time.
9. The Carol Burnett Show -- I always loved the funny skits on this show!
10. The Mary Tyler Moore Show -- I wanted a cool apartment just like Mary's when I grew up!
What were YOUR favorite tv shows when you were a child?
Join the fun! Sign up for Ten on Tuesday here.