I know I'm a few days early -- but I'm declaring it official here in my neck of the woods: Spring has arrived!
How can I tell? Here are my Top-Ten Sure Signs of Spring:
10. The seed and gardening catalogs are arriving faster than I can look at them.
9. The snow has melted in my back yard, exposing months-worth of soggy, partially decayed dog poop. (I'll spare you the photo. . . and just let you imagine this scene for yourself.)8. Garden Conference "season" has begun! (Sandie and I had a great time at the West Michigan Network of Landscape Architects March Garden Day conference in Grand Haven over the weekend.)
7. I can smell that the skunks are out of hibernation. . . but not moving quite fast enough to cross the roads without incident.Photo courtesy of The Heart of New England.
6. Daffodils are popping up! This little clump is out near my mailbox.
5. Other green growies (like this dwarf iris) are making an appearance in my garden.Photo copyright 2006 John Maskell
3. My daughter is home for spring break (where she maintains that strange nocturnal existence so typical of college students).Lenten rose is soon to bloom! I think my favorite of all spring flowers is the Lenten rose. I'm always charmed by this beautiful flower . . . knowing that it's down there, under the snow, getting ready to bloom just for me . . . once the snow melts.
I know that Spring is fickle. I'm pretty sure we're in for more nasty weather. But it really doesn't matter anymore. Sure signs all around tell me. . . Spring is here!